Sunday, August 5, 2012

Foolish Preaching

August 05, 2012  **Sunday. Starbucks-Ward. 8:02pm**

1 Corinthians 1:21

Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never know him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save those who believe.

Paul begins to speak to the church in Corinth about divisions of the church.  He pleads to the church in vs. 10, "...live in harmony with each other. Let there be no division in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose."  See, God is so smart, he dumbs it down for us.  Then he uses that foolish thinking to bring others to Him.  I love how vs. 18 says, "the message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction!  But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God."  Wowzers!  People reject the story of Jesus's death because they are headed to a very bad place but those who know the truth know the POWER behind it!  It's funny how Paul says in vs 25, "this foolish plan of God is wiser than the wisest of human plans, and God's weakness is stronger than the greatest of human strength."  He goes on in vs. 27-29, "God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise.  And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful.  God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. As a result, no one can boast in the presence of God."

I always wonder where thoughts come from.  My thoughts, my best friend's thoughts, thoughts that are verbally spoken from others.  Where do they come from?  Some of these thoughts becomes someone's way of living, things they turn to when they need them, or some are just plain silly.  Today, as I promoted my school at a High School, I had a chance to talk to a teenage girl, about 16 years old.  When I asked her "how I can pray for her," she said, "please pray to help God to show me where to go in life."  So cute.  What she said, the words she chose, is the very reason I want to teach English to these kids of Hawaii.  I asked her, "Do you think God needs help?" She gave me a puzzled look and I had to repeat what she said to me.  She then corrected herself by saying she was the one who needed help.  Sometimes our foolish thinking gets us in trouble, thankfully God brings us back, gives us fresh perspective.

Lord, sometimes our thoughts creates Foolish Preaching in our heads and sometimes it is reguritated out and looks eactly like gross crap.  Thank you that you are so smart.  It took you only 6 days to create the universe.  The universe that is so magnificent, so wonderous, so amazingly beautiful, that we as humans will never comprehend how unfathomable it truly is.  In one week, you spoke it out into exsistence.  No biggie.  Not a big deal.  What trips me out, God, {as I spoke with Laura during Dr. Randy's message at church yesterday} is that it took you 9 months (10 according to Laura) to create us.  To intricately knit our human bodies together in our mother's womb (psalms 139:13) and to be so initmate with us you know our very thoughts (psalms 139:4).  OMG, you are super good.

Foolish Preaching can lead to destruction but the POWER of the Holy Spirit brings out salvation to those who are not so foolish.

<3 p="p">









No comments:

Post a Comment