Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Abandoning Ship

July 24, 2012  **Tuesday. Starbucks. 8:42am**

2 Chronicles 12:1

But when Rehoboam was firmly established and strong, he abandoned the Law of the Lord, and all Israel followed him in this sin.

Rehoboam was the king of the Kingdom of Judah.  Chapter 11 discusses all this road to kingship and his triumphs of the cities he took over.  Being the son of Solomon, grandson of David, he had a linage that followed God.  He was 41 years old when he became king and ruled for 17 more.  In verse 17, the bible says that, "he was an evil king, for he did not seek the Lord with all his heart."  For 58 years, King Rehoboam must have had the knowledge of how good God was, because he was successful in all he did, but I believe that because he did not follow God "with ALL his heart" evil was allowed in to his life.  Being in David's lineage and having the knowledge of God did not protect Rehoboam from evil.  Somewhere along the line of his life, he allowed things to slowly creep in and harden his heart against God.

I inherited my Christianity.  I was born into a Christian home.  Growing up, I attended church services regularly and was heavily involved in Sunday school.  This did not mean I was a Christ follower.  I was a fan of Church.  The difference between being a fan versus being a follower is that as a fan, a person watches from afar, where as a follower is right there in the mix of things, lives, breathes, and walks in step with what he or she is following.  A follower truly engulfs themselves in their passion, sometimes they begin to look like what or who they are following.  A follower of Christ truly begins to look like Christ in character, action, speech, and the way they treat others.  I hope to apply this fact to my life, for I want to follow Christ-whatever that looks like-I don't want to just be a fan and "like" Him.

Lord, thank you for being God.  You truly are amazing and awesome.  Help me to follow you, to be in step with you, to allow and give you permission to change, transform my life to imitate you.  I want others to see you, not me.  Show me my selfish ways, my ungrateful heart, my ugly side and mold my life to how you want it to be.  Thank you for the truth that NOTHING can separate you from us.  I can only do life with you by my side and I want to follow you not only be your fan.

Abandoning ship means to drown among with the fishes, but God walked on water and that's where I want to be...doing the impossible right along with Him.

<3


No comments:

Post a Comment